[Jacob-list] alfalfa pellets

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 10:23:04 EST 2006

A ram usually reaches sexual maturity at 6 months of
age (or so). When was your ram born? Last year, we did
not have lambs, since my ram was born in May and
didn't reach sexual maturity in time. This year we
will have lambs (5 ewes bred). My ram is leaving the
farm this weekend, he's started acting "rammy" toward
people, so it's time for him to have an alternate
career path. Need to keep me and my children safe!

Jacobs are seasonal breeders. They usually lamb in
January/February/March here in NC. I'm not sure if
this shifts in different, colder climates.

Gestation is 5 months (148 days)

Since my children assist me when lambing time arrives,
I separate my ram from the bred ewes.

Some shepherds run their critters together all the
time.

I'm sure others can offer additional advice!
Joy T.

--- neeets at aim.com wrote:

> Is the Ram supposed to be kept separate from the

> ewes?

Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC

Home of The Fiber Flock