[Jacob-list] Llamas

Jeanette Larson jeanette392001 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 21:09:28 EST 2006

Hi Lynette,
We have 5 llamas that we use as guardians for our
sheep and goats. Well actually, 3 of them are
excellent guardians and hopefully the other two will
grow into their jobs. Some llamas are great with
sheep, others are not. Ours have kept our sheep safe
from coyotes and stray dogs.

One thing that we do differently for the llamas who
are guarding the Jacob sheep is to put their feed up
high and seperate, so they don't have to worry about
sheep horns.

We are in the midst of a move and are looking for a
good home for one of our llama geldings. He is an
excellent guardian, does fine by himself with the
sheep. He halters, ties and leads ok, and is very
respectful of people, but is not people friendly. I
have never been able to get him to eat treats. He
stands for shearing and hates having his feet trimmed.
We packed a bit with him, but it really isn't what he
likes to do. He is an excellent, very alert and gentle
guardian of his sheep.

We are in Colorado and moving to Arkansas. We are
trying to cut back on the number of trailer loads that
we have to haul 1,100 miles!

If you know anyone interested, have them e-mail me,
Jeanette

Jeanette Larson
Laffing Horse Farm
La Junta, CO