[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 26, Issue 19

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Dec 17 18:23:59 EST 2006

I buy the pellets in 50 lb bags. Alot of the pellets are too big for sheep, but Southern States, Godfreys (local Georgia mill) and Purina make smaller pellets. I always have hay available to the sheep, but the pellets cut down on how much hay they will eat. I've read about limiting hay, but I don't feel right about doing that without alot more research.

When I first started using the alfalfa pellets, I fed them mixed with grain. That seemed to keep them from bolting the pellets and choking. I'm not sure if it's because my sheep are used to the pellets now, but I can feed the pellets alone and they don't choke. A few of my older girls get an extra feeding of alfalfa pellets in the morning along with treats during the day. Everyone gets a 1/1 (by volume - 4/3 by weight) mix of whole corn/alfalfa pellets at the rate of 3/4 lb each. Free choice mineral mix, of course. I started using alfalfa pellets 10 years or so ago because the quality of our local hay was so awful. Now there is some great hay around, but also alot more demand.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com