[Jacob-list] Blue Seal Hay Extender Pellets

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 18:35:42 EST 2006

I feed Blue Seal Coarse 16 sheep year round, with a
mere sprinkling in warm months to keep the critters
coming when called. <grin> I adjust rations for
gestation and lactation. My bred ewes have access to a
Blue Seal protein tub (SGD?) through gestation and
lactation. I keep a tub with weaned lambs, too.

I have supplemented Blue Seal Hay Extender Pellets in
the past when hay has been scarce (or it's been
exceptionally cold, or I've had a ewe have a hard
delivery and be stressed). They are an alfalfa based
pellet, designed for horses, but palatable by sheep. I
feed them in a tub/trough like their feed. They also
make great lamb training aids for show gentling! There
are instructions on the bag's tag for supplementing
horses.

I've also heard of people sowing turnip seeds in empty
protein tub tubs, letting them grow greens and pushing
them in with the critters. (Or throwing handfuls of
seed into a "resting" paddock, letting them grow up,
then turning in critters.)

I'm eager to hear others' thoughts on this. Great
topic for discussion, Linda! I still can't believe
people in CA spend $17 for a square bale of hay!
YIKES!

Joy T
www.shepherdofspots.com
Home of The Fiber Flock