[Jacob-list] need help

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 09:01:24 EST 2006

Sara,

WOW -- what an endeavor your friend has undertaken! Enlisting the help of a
qualified vet would be my first suggestion. He/she would be a valuable
resource in developing a program to help get this ewe back on track for good
health.

Emaciation can do weird things to an animal's body, metabolism, etc. Often
times, we overfeed right away thinking we are helping the animal recover when
that often results in more harm than good. In this case, quality is
definitely a priority vs. quantity, especially with grain introduction and hay. You
want the ewe to meet her own body needs, while still meeting the needs of
her off spring still developing inside her. Too much protein too quickly may
result in oversized lambs, adding only additional body stress to an already
run down mom-to-be. Again, an experienced veterinarian would be a valuable
resource!

I'd have a stool sample checked for parasites and deworm, if needed.
Vaccinations to include basic CD&T (we use Covexin-8), then others as recommended
by her vet. Since this ewe has unknown medical history, it may be safe to
assume she has not received any health care based up on her condition. I would
give the initial vaccine then follow up with the booster as the product label
reads. Vaccinating 4-6 weeks prior to delivery helps to stimulate the
mother's immune system into making antibodies, which helps to protect the lamb(s).

One other thought, make sure your friend has adequate supplies on hand to
care for various pregnancy complications that may develop as well as have
colostrum, milk replacer, etc. available in case the mother cannot or is unable to
nurse the lambs. That is pretty much a recommendation to any shepherd but
especially so in this case, given the difficult circumstances this ewe has
experienced this far.

Keep me posted! I'd love to hear how everything turns out in this story --
Cheryl

Mike & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Buckhannon, West Virginia