[Jacob-list] hay extender

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Dec 15 13:08:08 EST 2006

Corn silage is an excellent roughage and energy source if you can find a ready supply. It will supply plenty of roughage value and is about equivalent in energy to 2 parts hay and 1 part corn grain (68 to 72 mcal/pound and 8% protein, good alfalfa hay in our area runs 62 mcal/lb, inadequate for gestating ewes and growing lambs)...additional protein will be needed to be added to corn silage rations for late lactation and gestation. We have used it for our sheep for years because we have it for our dairy herd.

You will need to be able to feed small quantities of a fresh supply three times a week in the winter (daily in warmer weather) because it will heat and grow mold more readily than hay. Hay silage will work as well, and should be slightly higher in quality than hay of the same stage of harvest because there will be more leaves retained. It is more palatable than hay because it has a somewhat sweet taste. (I have seen cows run across the lot to get to an sickenly sweet smelling bale of sudan and johnsongrass balelage.)

Neal Grose
North Carolina