[Jacob-list] Ram's horns

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Dec 14 09:14:49 EST 2006

We might want to keep in mind that "in the wild", rams live a short life. In
severe climates, wild sheep divide up into breeding groups at the onset of
cold weather and the rams that "win" spend all of their time breeding and
fighting off rivals... not eating. This results in the death of the breeding
ram by mid-winter, but only after leaving a few offspring. The alternative
is reproductive death of the losing rams. Most rams best shot at
reproductive success comes at a fairly young age. By ten (or even 5), these
rams have lost out on the reproductive lottery.

I have often wondered if we wouldn't be better off emulating the wild
pattern and eating (or hitching them out as nice lawn ornaments) any ram
over the age of 4. Te only thing that makes a ram "good" is that they
produce good offspring. If they produce superior sons, why not use the sons
instead?

Neal

In the overly-rainy-balmy South, where we are still trying to catch up on
the fall work