[Jacob-list] Ram's horns

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 13 16:18:01 EST 2006

--Sue wrote:

>Rams with horns with a narrow spread that ultimately grow into their

cheeks will most likely produce offspring with that same horn

>type..........we can manipulate the ram's horns to grow beautiful, but his

genetics are still flawed........sorta like the old saying >"beauty is only
skin deep."
==========
I have always wondered about that and I agree. Strange that the sheep
doctor at WSU Vet School didn't tell me that, he said they could be
trained. My ram was 10 yrs old before the horns started to touch his face,
he almost made it. I don't think most folks keep rams that long. For ten
years, I thought he was normal. I also heard that in "the wild", the
survival of the fittest favor the rams with horns closer to the face;
perhaps a more compact battering tool than a ram with widely spaced horns
that could be broken off. Looks like my ram's horns were too close to his
face from the beginning. My new ram has widely-spaced four horns.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho