[Jacob-list] Horns

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Wed Dec 13 14:37:06 EST 2006

Regarding weights and other manipulations to horns -- taking a healthy sheep with healthy horns and attempting to manipulate the outcome of the horn growth to produce a certain look or to prevent a problem such as growing into a cheek really is self defeating. Rams with horns with a narrow spread that ultimately grow into their cheeks will most likely produce offspring with that same horn type..........we can manipulate the ram's horns to grow beautiful, but his genetics are still flawed........sorta like the old saying "beauty is only skin deep." My goal is produce rams with naturally beautiful horns who in turn sire the same their offspring. However, I must concede, that horn growth is not always predictable in these beautiful sheep - I've had parents and grandparents with beautiful horn spreads -- and offspring with awful horns.

Sue

Stonecroft Manor
"The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep...They all shout and sing for joy!"
Psa. 65:13