[Jacob-list] Ram's horns

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 13 13:14:20 EST 2006

--Jo Ann wrote:

>Has anyone been able to straighten or repair a twisted horn? If it breaks

off completely can it somehow be reattached? Should >I just leave it alone?
He'll be two in Feb. so I think the horn has finished growing. Jo Ann
========
I think the horns continue to grow for some time, if not during the life of
the animal. I took my 2-horned ram in to get his horns trimmed. He is 11
years old and the horns were starting to rub against his face. I took him
to WSU Vet Teaching Hospital. He is a rather aggressive ram so I didn't
want to do it; plus I learn a lot from the sheep doctors. The sheep
professor, Dr. Parrish, told me that horns can be "trained". If I had
known that, I would've had it done long ago. I didn't ask how, but maybe
they wire them up somehow. I can find an email address and forward it to
you. You might try wiring the horn to the undamaged part. If there is a
chance for injury or poking the other ram's eye out with a piece of loose
wire, I would nix it, not do it. Maybe add some epoxy or super glue before
wiring? Actually, you better talk or email an expert vet, I will try to
get the contact information.

My two rams fight and the old ram has a crack between the two horns, at the
top of his head, where the two horns divide. I was going to fill the crack
with epoxy; instead, I have been cleaning it out with some iodine soln and
hoping it will close on its own. Too bad some company doesn't make a 'horn
repair kit' with some horn paste to fill in the cracks.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho