[Jacob-list] Guard Llamas

Ron Shaffer rshaffer1959 at msn.com
Thu Aug 3 08:51:25 EDT 2006

Before we bought guard llamas, we did our research on guard animals and
decided llamas would be best.  Not all llamas are guard though.  Some have
that instinct more developed than others.  The best guard llamas are gelded
males or females which are not used for breeding.  A good llama breeder can
be invaluable when shopping for guard llamas.  The breeder knows which
llamas have the guard instinct most developed.  Llamas have an innate
dislike for canines.  Guard llamas have been known to stomp coyotes and dogs
to death.  We have coyotes which come on our property, but never into the
sheep pastures.  Our pasture is fenced and we have 2 gelded llamas which
have been proven to have guard instinct.  We usually find them sitting
facing each other, so that each has a view of 1/2 of the pasture or
patrolling the fence lines.  At this time, if I had to do it all over again,
I would choose guard llamas.

Cynthia