[Jacob-list] Congenital defects

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Apr 27 05:13:35 EDT 2006

There is some thinking that the Jacob Sheep is naturally inbred. That is: it arose from a rather small base, and those flocks tended to remain closed. The result of this is that there was a tendency for genetic recessives to be expressed and eliminated from those flocks early on. Much the same thing happens with inbred lines of chickens that have gone into the production of the modern poultry industry. In the almost twenty years that we have had sheep here, the only congenital defect that I can recall seeing was a "bulldog face" in a CROSSBRED lamb.

We should also remember that genes are not static. There is a nasty little secret that is starting to come out in regards to BSE. Much of FDA and industry efforts have been to trace all Mad-cow to the consumption of tainted feed that originated with British imports, and maybe even scrapie sheep. But, it is very possible that the cases most recently seen in the US are the result of random new mutations that we would never have seen had we not been testing for it.

Neal Grose

"The world is always more complicated than we would like for it to be."