[Jacob-list] Congenital defects

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 01:41:01 EDT 2006

I think it is good that shepherds share problem episodes so that the breed
may be conserved.  Congenital problems are not a new phenomenon nor a shepherd
or breed stigma.  The committed shepherd will watch the flock and each sheep,
note problems, search for causes and be willing to share the experience for the
sake of the breed.  It is our "selfish" gene that says a defect should not be
seen or reported, buried rather than necopsied.

When Miss Shnickelgruber(sp?) saw her new-born son, she probably said he was
a beautiful baby ... perfect ... he will be a success!  We look at lambs and
see cute, a measure of perfection and it will be registered.  But perhaps the
"perfect" lamb is really 20 years old that reproduced consistent, viable
offspring that, in turn, reproduce consistent, viable offspring.  Lambs are far more
a "hope" than a "promise"; they tell us about their parents, not their unborn
offfspring.

I am not advocating a "know-nothing" approach to the practice of husbandry
but suggest tempering husbandry instinct with some realities such as "one robin
does not make a spring", "stars are not only there at night", "the sun doesn't
rise", "the major contributor to the OED was from an insane asylum" and
"there'll be days like this".

A single instance of atresia ani may be just that, a single instance of a
genetic mutatioin caused by anything from the status of the egg or fetus getting
hit by a neutrino to the ewe being stressed or ingesting skunk urine left in
the pasture.

On the other hand, a gene is a predictable protein machine, always doing
something (like producing copies of itself and the building instructions which get
passed on) but we don't see gene efffects until the right conditions arise.
Some effects are apparent at birth (black/white, horns, four cleft hooves and
plumbing, even viability effects such as getting up, smell and sucking,and even
congenital defects).  Some other effects such as ticking, stones, even
parasite resistance or resilience are already there but are not typical lamb
observations.  All breeds of sheep have positive breed outcomes as well as congenital
and genetic problems. The Jacob is not that unique.

Most genetic problems are autosomal recessives (most are non lethal problems,
some lethal).  Given the penchant for breeding pedigrees that dip deep to the
imports rather than "unknowns", some genetic problems are results that would
be expected from the gene puddle of the first 25-30 Jacobs.

You can create your own gene puddle ...Punnett saquare... like AAxAa where A
is the "normal anus and run two lines, birth sex is 50/50 and assume that 4/5
rams are wethered or butchered.  I think you hit a aa with a 90% probability
by the 4th generation.  You can repeat the breeding and see if it is
repeatable.

Defects can appear to come from "different" lines. On the one hand a line
suggests a certain level of inbreeding greater than the general population; don't
rely on flcok name prefixes for breeding distance; check the pedigree to
great grandparents... on the other hand, did it ever previously occur in one line
or the other ... ?

The severity, frequency and predictability of the problem is rather critical
and that is why sharing information about congenital and genetic defects is so
important ... how else does one collect information on defects per 100
births?

When a case of otognathia was reported...two more were reported ...  When
cases of OCD were reported ... more were reported ... and atresia ani, stones,
adactylly, intersex, jaw misalignments, ... etc.,  So there does exist a catalog
of some Jacob congenital defects and a very crude measure of incidence.  On
the other hand some defects are more clearly known; e.g., we did planned
breeding to produce lysosomal storage problems over two years of breeding known and
suspected carriers that, since genetics probably works, produced expected
results. Texas A&^M identified the source(s), but the likelyl enzyme defect was
not the expected beta galactosidase or the other betas associated with lysosomal
problems in other breeds.  Perhaps the Jacob is unque!

Having come full circle, I must remeber that beyond the package of genes,
management and environment also have an effect on the breed and congenital
defects; e.g., over feeding and barn confinement are often noted. The task is to
observe and study a problem, propose a casue, test the cause and proceed with a
little bit of added knowledge and experience.  Sharing knowledge and experience
helps the shepherd and the breed.

Fred Horak