[Jacob-list] Lambing...problems

Karen karen at benjaminfarms.com
Tue Apr 25 16:04:09 EDT 2006

    My first year of lambing, I think I had everything go wrong(still
birth, prolapse uterus, too many babies and not enough milk, no poop
hole, babies in the wrong position, Doe in labor but not really sure)
with just about all my sheep and goats. My husband and I shed several
tears.  I learned very fast with what to do and what not to do. Life vs.
death with out much time to think. Convincing little babies that they
really wanted to live. I learned having a big tool box, with anything I
could think of inside and lots of clean towels to grab from the list.  I
had one normal delivery that year, with one of my goats and still called
out the Vet. because I did not know what a normal birthing process
looked like.  I was very high maintence with my neighbors, because I was
the one with the weird looking sheep and goats having the problems, they
did not understand.   Actually now they call me because I was the one
who had all the problems my first year.... to ask what to do.
    With Laura Lawson's book and what I have learned thru all of you, on
this web site, my last couple of years have been wonderful and enjoyable
this the spring.  Very little problems and very little graves dug.
There was one time when I had a problem and I could not get a hold of
any local Vets and I came in and posted to the list about my bloating
ram lamb. I did not have the time to wait for a Vet call back before he
would die and I think it was Neal or Fred, that mentioned to look for
the poop hole (which he was missing) and we cut him one. Solve the
problem- sterile razor blade or knife in kit.
    I have been amazed with just having the proper nutrition, at the
right times of the year and how much this plays into the effect of the
birthing process and healthy lambs. If I have not been apart of this
list for the past couple of years... I don't know if I would still be
raising sheep, that first year was tramitic for a city girl "thinking"
she wanted to go country.  So thanks EVERYONE for being such a valuable
resource for me.
Karen Sigler
www.benjaminfarms.com