[Jacob-list] healthy lamb until

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 22:42:28 EDT 2006

Hi All
I have a ram lamb born February 26; one of twins.  The ewe twin was rejected
and then died of some kind of digestive problem after two days.  This guy
has been healthy and the leader of the pack until Sunday.  Found him down
and unable to get up with neck stiff to side.  Picked him up and carried him
to shed and went to get anti toxin (just in case but didn't use) and some
other things.  Returned home to find I had to catch him again!  Somehow up
and walking quickly but not running; stiff neck thing gone.  Gave him
penicillin shot and his vaccine against clost&tetanus shot and checked him
over.  No fever, no diarrhea, no bangs or bumps.  One odd blister-like bump
on leg that is cool to touch.  Also gave him nutridrench and waited.  He
continues to follow his mom around carefully; have seen him nurse.  But he
is still wobbly and goes to his front knees now and then.  Have seen him
nibbling at grass and hay.  His front feet 'knuckle' at bottom foot joint
but then he straightens them and walks okay if slower.  Tonight he tried to
join in lamb races but turfed out at one point...

Thought I read something about feet knucking under but now can't find the
reference.  Is this white muscle disease?  Or maybe the blistery thing is
sign of lysosomal stoarge disease?  At least that is what i understand
happens in human cases (lumps/bumps of the proteins that won't break down).
I am thinking it is time to call vet....

any advice?  None of the other 20 lambs or 16 ewes are showing any signs of
grass staggers etc.
Thanks for any help
--
Ralene Mitschler