[Jacob-list] Ivermectin and synthetic pyrethroids

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 09:09:06 EDT 2006

Ivermectin is lethal to invertebrates. It is an organophosphate and was I
believe developed in Israel as a by-product of nerve gas research. If you
give it to your animals, the dung is toxic to ground-dwelling beetles and
earthworms. Its use is not permitted in organic production here in the UK.
My neighbours use ivermectin to worm their cattle and sheep. They have very
few earthworms and no moles. We do not use it and have millions of
earthworms and lots of moles, 21 trapped in the last week.
Pyrethroids are based on the insecticidal chemicals produced by pyrethrum
daisies, but are all produced synthetically in chemical plants. They do not
have the same dreadful effects on humans that ivermectin can have but they
are phenomenally toxic to aquatic life. Disposal of pyrethroid-based dips is
problematical.
There is no easy answer to controlling flies and lice on sheep. Each will
have adverse effects on the environment. I would suggest Vetrazine (approved
for use in organic systems) which prevents maggots developing or Crovect
(not approved) which kills maggots on sheep. Either is preferable to
watching sheep suffer from flystrike.
Gordon in Scotland.