[Jacob-list] arthrogryposis

rns1260 at adelphia.net rns1260 at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 2 07:49:20 EDT 2006

each case one lamb was stillborn, and  the second stillborn and both surviving
lambs have  a deformity of the front legs in which they will not straighten at
the knee.  This is not a weakness, but a very strong contracture or bone
deformity, she is not sure which.  She attempted to straighten the front legs of
the second stillborn lamb, and said that even using so much strength she was
afraid she would break the bones,

I am not certain if this is the same problem that we had occur at our farm this year. One of our ewes gave birth to twins , the first was standing and nursing without a problem. The second lamb was left, unable to walk. On this particular lamb the front legs were fine, but the back legs were as if the bones were fused. We took it to the vet and she diagnosed it with arthrogryposis. He was a lively little fellow, willing to take a bottle and suck on our chin, but would be a cripple for life. Our decision was to put him down. It was a hard one. The bones were fused and would not straighten. I would certainly get a vets opinion, even though this sounds the same.
Blessing's,
Cheryl
Rise "N" Shine Farm