[Jacob-list] breeding for polycerates

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Oct 13 16:54:46 EDT 2005

We asked specifically if there were fewer SUED in 4-horned progeny of 2X4 horn crosses as opposed to 4X4 crosses. There were not. SUED seems to be distributed pretty equally among the various polycerate subgroups. Shaos happens.

I was one who suggested that the horn mass seems to distribute among the horns; however, I firmly believe that if we want to breed for strong polycerate animals, then we have to breed for strong polycerate traits. This means consistently using 4-horned rams on a portion of the flock and selecting for increased horn mass. There is a limit to what I will tolerate in large horns because in our flock, it tends to lead to an increase in forward tilted horns and SUED. Moderation is best.

Neal