[Jacob-list] Holstein and Jacob ID

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Oct 10 05:40:09 EDT 2005

As a breeder of both Holsteins and Jacobs, there is one point on the move to a National ID system that is worth thinking about. There has been at least one court case in which picture ID of a Holstein was accepted as legal identification. The case involved the theft of a cow that had been registered with the Holstein Association. At the time, this identification was made with a hand drawn picture of the markings and this drawing was required to be included with the registration application. Photos are now the more common method of identification. These pictures are photocopied onto the registration paper that is sent back to the owner. It has been accepted that eartags are not required in Holsteins for identification as long as the registration papers are presented when required.

There are two points to be made here:

First, if we do not want eartags in our animals, then it is possible that we can lobby to keep the tags on file and present the photo ID of the animals when the animals are inspected. This will not apply to those animals that are sold as culls. Like the scrapie tag, I would expect that the animal should have to be tagged as it leaves the farm.

Second, this is a strong point in support for registering animals with a national breed association. I do not think that it will be enough to simply have a photograph of an animal. The photo needs to be on file with a breed organization as well.

Neal Grose
North Carolina