[Jacob-list] New ewe and vinegar

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 26 23:05:21 EST 2005

--Michelle wrote:
>We gave her some raw apple cider viniger in her water
>and let her rest for the night. I was told that the viniger will help her
>tummy as she adjusts to her new home.
========
What a coincidence.  On sheep-l we were just discussing urinary calculi
(stones) that occur in wethers and rams.  One lady in Canada lost her
wether because he was 'plugged' and couldn't urinate.  The sheep don't
drink a lot of water this time of year (late fall) and that is when the
problem shows up.  It is important to give sheep mineral salts (for sheep,
no copper), so they will drink water for one thing.  I add it to their feed
twice a week.  They also use a mineral block set out in the paddock.
I suggested giving a plugged wether a syringe full of apple cider vinegar
in the mouth to acidify the urine and, maybe dissolve the stone,  and rush
him to the vets for some various techniques to remove the stones.  However,
apparently the vinegar is utilized in the rumen and may not dissolve the
stone.  The best method to prevent stones is to add some ammonium chloride
to the feed of wethers and rams during the times that water consumption is
low, during transportation and stress, and when the diet is changed.

I was just wondering if anyone could explain Michelle's giving her ewe the
vinegar?  What is it used for?
Thanks,
Cathy
P.S. Michelle, hope everything goes well with the new ewe.