[Jacob-list] acorns

Christopher Brantley labradorridgejacobs at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 18:36:43 EST 2005

I've a few oak saplings in my pasture... they're not mature enough to produce acorns, along with hickory and a varied assortment of other nut producers that are native to the area. I've a guess I'll never have to worry about the acorns though, the girls have taken to girdeling every tree in the pasture. They started with the locusts, moved to the hickory and oaks. This year they're giving the large white pines a run for the money. So far, no problems from the bark of trees...

-Chris

ACAMDA at aol.com wrote:
I let the sheep out in the front yard yesterday.  When I went to check on them a little later, they were all in my flowerbeds, and seemed to be eating acorns like they were ice cream!  There's little or nothing else in the beds. I panicked, thinking it would give them the bellyache, but so far they're okay.  I suppose squirrels do it all the time, but are acorns harmful for sheep?

Kathey
Sweet Georgia Valley