[Jacob-list] Pin oak acorns

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 12 14:04:49 EST 2005

> Pin oak is a red oak, but I don't know how much tannin it has.
I really would like to know this.  I planted two pin oaks near the sheep
paddock.  Eventually, the acorns will fall in.  A few years after I planted
the trees I heard about the toxicity.  If anybody knows the toxicity of pin
oak acorns or if their sheep ate a lot and lived, please let me know.  BTW,
tannins are also found in tree bark, sometimes sheep gnaw on this.  A plant
called wormwood also is considered a natural dewormer.
Thanks, Cathy
Moscow, Idaho
Mostly conifers (evergreens) around here, we plant many hardwoods