[Jacob-list] wool break and getting started

Gillian Fuqua gillianfuqua at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 12 10:19:16 EST 2005

	I have a blue faced leicester boy who went down due to heavy
parasites.  After heavy duty nursing, he is fine but he had a wool
break right at the skin.  I finally peeled off what I could and snipped
off the rest with scissors and he has a nice fuzz growing in.  I'll get
him shorn in the spring with everyone else to get him back on schedule.
  I am bummed because now I will get two short lamb fleeces that I can
play with but not sell.  I had also  been going to stud him out but
wethered him.  After hand feeding him for close to a week, I thought he
was more socialized than I wanted an intact male to be.  Oh well, at
least his fleeces will stay nicer for longer.
	In terms of getting started with pasture, plenty of people hay all
year round.  I have been doing lots of pasture improvement.  I use the
lazy method.  I let the sheep into a brushy area and wait and see what
they eat down for me.  Then I go and cut what seems like it might
become problematic, like having thorns.  I spread seed liberally in the
fall and just wait and see what happens in the spring.  I use a pasture
mix from my local feed store which has a couple of different kinds of
grasses and clovers.  The other way to maximize small pasture space is
to find neighbors with bits they want mowed and fertilized.  I am very
lucky in that one neighbor has a huge fenced in area from when they
used to keep sheep.  I also have a solar charger and have sent them out
that way.

Gillian