[Jacob-list] Getting Started

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 10:05:38 EST 2005

Good Morning,
       You do not say what state you live in, but here in Indiana I like to feed an Orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay ( a 2nd or 3rd cutting ). I recommend avoiding fescue hay or seed for your pasture. A lot depends on the area you live in. Hay is not real expensive here in Indiana and readily available. Jacobs love honey suckle, tree leaves and many other things so they will do well on a varied pasture. I reseed bare spots in the pasture with orchard grass also. Hope this helps you a little.
Carl Fosbrink
4Horn Farm's Jacob Sheep
MLHofer at aol.com wrote:
Hello I am getting some Jacob sheep in the spring.  Can not wait.  I have never owned sheep but use to raise goats when I was a kid.  I have aprox 1.5 acres that I am going to fence in.  1 acre is woods that we are getting trimmed down. My concern is not having sufficent grass for them is it ok to feed hay in replacement from grass?  We are planning to plant grass seeds what is the best seeds we should get to better help the Jacobs.  I am only getting 3 jacobs in the spring to start.  what kind of hay should I get.  Right now I feed my minitures timothy and he does very well on it.  Thank you for any information you can give me I want to know as much as I can before the they arrive.
Shel