[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu May 19 15:21:04 EDT 2005

I am working (still!) on an 'about the farm' page.   Seems like there is so much to do our first spring here!  We are pretty much on the side of a mountain.  From the front door, we walk across our deck, across the driveway and then it's straight up (and I do mean straight up - or straight down starting at the top, especially if you happen to slip on the leaves - ask me how I know : -).  At the top of the mountain is a series of rock ledges and small caves.  I imagine the bear spends time in the caves.  We often see evidence of the bear - he/she got into the neighbors beehives, has left bear tracks around destroyed bird feeders, bear foot prints on the top of cars. They are fairly common around here, but are not often seen.  If we're walking in the woods we can sometimes smell them.  Everyone is careful with their garbage, so as not to attract bears.

I don't believe the bears are a threat to the sheep.  I did hear of a foal that decided he wanted to play with a bear cub.  Mama bear didn't care for that and the foal was pretty badly hurt.  We have electric fence run around the outside of hog wire to discourage anything from getting in.  Bears don't have any problem climbing a fence.  I do pen the lambs at night most nights.   Part of the reason I do that is so I can sleep, without feeling I have to go outside and check everytime I hear a lamb yelling.

Linda
What's New at Patchwork Farm?