[Jacob-list] Re: Skunk question

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue May 17 07:43:34 EDT 2005

I know in the veterinary end of things we get "skunked" animals often this
time of year.  Tomato juice works but the key is NOT to rinse it off -- odd
looking fleece, I'm sure!  Another "recipe" someone came up with, which  works
well on dogs, cats, etc. from all reports thus far is:

1 pint bottle of hydrogen peroxide
 1/4 cup vinegar OR lemon juice
3 +/- Tablespoons DAWN dishwashing liquid
enough water to make a good lather

The vinegar serves as an breakdown of the enzymes in the skunk's "stink" --
works well also on any pet odor removal and stains.  Dawn liquid is a great
stripping agent for the oily base of skunkiness.  I'm not certain how  this may
work on fleece, especially when trying to avoid the felting issue from  a
good scrubbing.  I guess if skunk odor is going to ruin a fleece  anyway, it'd be
worth a try!  Good luck!

Mike & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box  726
Buckhannon, WV 26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob  Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits