[Jacob-list] Another horn question

Christopher Brantley labradorridgejacobs at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 09:50:06 EDT 2005

Kathey,

Were the horns chalk-like?

I've found in other breeds and other animals, nutrient deficiencies cause poor development of horns, bones, teeth, etc.

I think Neal, or Fred mentioned environmental impacts on horn development. I should look at their intake of selenium, calcium, and iron. There are a few other trace minerals as well that may have some effect on horn development. It may be interesting if you have not looked yet, to look at their teeth and see if there are any deformities there; if so look most closely at calcium intake.

The other factor being genetic would be a defect which may be possible with the same parents, but still unlikely.

I keep loose salt and block salt available for free choice with my Jacobs.... the blocks have a bit of sweetener added and the lambs have really enjoyed those. I know I have a Selenium deficiency though. I try to keep the pastures limed more to eliminate olfactory insult to my neighbors, guests, and myself, but the side advantage is better soil drainage and increased calcium intake on regular schedule that I can control and prevent over dose of calcium.... I would not want to create stones in the urinary/renal tract

-Chris