[Jacob-list] growling guard steer

Ralene Mitschler ralenemitschler at direcway.com
Thu Mar 31 19:14:22 EST 2005

Hi All
I want to thank everyone again who responded to my lamb concern.
Thought you all might want to know how it came out.  I went out to
check the little ram lamb's temperature since I knew he didn't have
diarrhea, then was going to check the ewe to be sure she was feeding
both twins.  Imagine my surprise when there was NOWHERE to use the
thermometer.  So Betty's advice was spot on.  Several of you sent
references (thank you thank you) for the info from Merck vet manual etc
about atresia ani.  I did get a wonderful reference to a vet in the
area who works on sheep and goats (thanks again Kelly!)  They had to
guess at the cost because they don't see it very often.  But my little
ram had the easiest version of the problem to fix---just a membrane
that needed perforating and a few stitches (I think).

So he is back home following his mom around and eating well.  I have
given him his penicillin shots and all seems to be going well.  Will
see if he has the musculature to control his 'output' and be a wether
in my spinning flock or what.  I am trying to figure out if atresia ani
is inheritable or is congenital but will not be using the guy for
breeding.  It seems a logical developmental biology flaw to me and I
know of no such trait in either ram or ewe's history so.....

But the really funny part of the story.....I have my 'guard steer and
the boys in one set of pastures and the girls and their lambs in
adjoining area.  I noticed when the lambs are down near the common
fence the Jersey steer hangs out between lambs and the rest of the
boys.  No one (including Isaiah who you may remember has tried to take
the steer on before) is allowed near that fence.

So here I am out in that corner checking on the lamb to see how he is
doing.  His mom Anania does not trust me (and probably will never do so
again since I am the lamb stealer----she hollered every time she saw me
until I brought him back) and is hollering that the lamb stealer is
back and has her baby.  I am on the ground holding the lamb and trying
to check everything which is (happily) much harder with a wiggly
healthy lamb than it was before.  All of a sudden I realize the ground
is shaking and there is a funny growly noise coming closer.  Here comes
Uncle TBone at top speed right at me.  I think he was coming to the
ewe's aid (and of course the lamb now is adding his two cents).  Sort
of a 'watching the train  wreck' moment.  But TBone skids to a stop and
looks at me like what are you doing on the ground?" and spatters mud
(yea that stuff under the snow) all over as he stops.  Fortunately he
decides to stay on his side of fence and apparently thinks I am not
hurting the lamb.  But honest to goodness he was 'growling' as he came
running.  I did not know steers (or any bovine) could make that noise.
Woe to any who mean harm to Uncle TBone's sheep!

: )
Ralene

Ralene  Mitschler and Randall Morrison
Chicory Lane Farm