[Jacob-list] Bent Foot

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sat Mar 26 11:48:28 EST 2005

> What is the probability of successfully correcting this condition so that she can walk on the toes instead of the top of her foot?  Since it has been a week before discovered this, is there a more aggressive treatment?  What about splinting the foot forward?   Thanks!>

We have a baby goat who started out walking with his front pasterns bent under. At the advice of a goat breeder/vet, we splinted the legs below the knees. We cut toilet paper tubes (cut vertically and horizontally to fit) and used cotton inside, especially under the dewclaws to hold the foot in the correct position. Then I used tape to hold the tube together and covered it with vet wrap to hold the whole thing in place. The vet said to keep it on 4-5 days and then check. The kid is getting around fine with his splints.

  --- Steve and Trish Barrows
  --- Amazing Grace Farm
  --- agf777 at earthlink.net