[Jacob-list] lamb barely breathing

RnS1260 at aol.com RnS1260 at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 13:03:57 EST 2005

Went out for our morning check to find my husbands half Southdown half Jacob
ewe had lambed. She had a healthy ram lamb at her side. One lamb laying just
outside the shed barely breathing, icy cold and frost on her face. We raced to
the house, tube fed her with some colostrum and gave her the recommended dose
Sub-Q of lactated ringers (Dextrose-Soution). We broke that into two doses. We
were getting a little response. Her eyes were still closed, but I could feel
her heart rate increasing. Her Temp. was about 84 degrees at this point.
Normal being 101. We submerged her into a warm bath, increasing the temperature to
about 100 degrees for thirty minutes. Eyes opened and we could see life. After
drying her we covered her with a wool over and put her under a heat lamp.
Still not out of the woods, we went out to get some of Moms milk. We continued
milking Mom on and off until she had enough of us. We were able to get about an
ounce an hour into the little ewe lamb by bottle. Probably about 7 ounces
total. We then went back to the packaged colostrum for 24 hours. Then we put her
on Super Lamb milk replacer and we are up to 4 ounces. Waking up every four
hours beats every hour. About a once an hour seems to be a good rule of thumb.
Raspberry Sue is running around like a frisky little lamb. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheryl and Daisey
Rise "N" Shine Farm