[Jacob-list] Broken leg on ewe lamb

Marguerite Van Beek pegvanbeek at msn.com
Mon Mar 14 13:24:15 EST 2005

Of all the things that happen in my life I do realize all are cause by one minute of stupidity  I was taking out two ewes with their lambs that are from Ohm (who died
recently).  They are outstanding lambs fleece, color, markings, etc. What you dream of if you are a Jacob Breeder.  Well one of the ewe's went out the wrong door following the deer.  Alex finally got the two mom's and the one ewe lamb in their paddock but instead of me keeping her in the stall to catch I opened the door to let her out to the paddock instead she took a wrong turn and when right into the paddock to the demon horse.  This mare is a nightmare when it comes to things with four legs in her paddock.   Went right for her before we could get in there and stomped the lamb on is hind leg.  You knew it was broken right away.  I put a splint on it and drive to Dr Frey's office thinking this isn't going to turn out right.  Alex was in tears all the the way there.  I love all my lambs and sheep but these two were very special.  I was so afraid that it broke at the joint.  Well it broke right above the growth plates above the knee.  We put a cast on her and we shall she how it goes.
Right now she is having trouble maintaining her balance due the the leg being straight and heavy.  I will have to wean her from mom tonight and I haven't decided to put her in the house in a crate or put her in the barn lambing pen with her friend.
either way it will be a tuff go.  You know, Alex was driving home I was in the back seat with the lamb and she would just lie there next to me with her head on my chest just looking at me melt your heart.

Well, that is my exciting Monday!!!!

Peggy