[Jacob-list] Lambing question

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 15:19:10 EST 2005

Had a border leicester deliver a 10lb8oz ewe lamb this
morning. Mom is fine. Lamb was floppy and cold at
birth. Rubbed with towels, wrapped with hot water
bottle on my lap with heating pad. Gave her
nutridrench and colostrum. (She has a sucking reflex,
but cannot hold up her head.)

She is now here in the house in a dog crate with heat
lamp. Has had colostrum about every 2 hours, hurses
from bottle. I hold her head. She has not stood or
held up her head herself, but can move all legs,
responds to noises and voice.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? How long
will it take her to stand? Should I be doing anything
else?

Joy
(who REALLY likes her vigorous Jacobs who never had
these kinds of problems!)

Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC
Hand spun yarns, custom knit & triloom woven items
www.shepherdofspots.com