[Jacob-list] sheep

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Wed Mar 9 12:15:40 EST 2005

Most of today's domestic sheep have been selectively bred to have LOTS  of fleece.  It is cruelty to animals to NOT shear them.  If they were totally primitive breeds who would shed out their fleece, they could make a case, but we've distorted the fleece function on animals, and now, if they are not shorn, they are not only not a pretty sight, but they are a health hazard as well, I would imagine.  There are a couple of sheep up here in neighborhood pet fences who haven't been shorn and they look miserable, hot, overburdened.  They need a good shearing.

The comments on breeding lambs have been very interesting.  I think it boils down to a matter of opinion and choice, from the comments.