[Jacob-list] Mulesing and PETA

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 11:18:45 EST 2005

>>What is Mulsing(SP)? That's what they are protesting
It is a procedure done in Australia to give the sheep lifetime protection
from blowflies.  The skin on lambs is cut off around the backend.  It is
loose, folded skin found on the Merino breed of sheep.  There is some
blood, it's painful but heals quickly.  The Aussies say that death by
blowfly is much worse.  There is a big fight going on in Australia with
PETA.  PETA wants the world to boycott Aussie wool products, shutting down
the industry.  The Aussies are currently working on a Merino breed that
genetically does not have the skin folds.  Also, they claim that mulesing
isn't done that much anymore.  Search the Internet and use the keyword
"mulesing".  However, most of what you will find is from PETA.
Cathy
P.S.  The reason I know about this is that I am on the sheep-list, an
international group of people interested in sheep.  We have a few Aussies
on it.  The list is based in Sweden.  I don't remember how to subscribe,
but I can find out if anyone is interesting.  We have a wide variety of
folks, from the big producers to the little hobby farms.  It is very
interesting.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho