[Jacob-list] First bottle baby

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 20:46:36 EST 2005

Hi,

Actually, lots of breeders in the US breed ewes their
first year and I can tell you from my own farm
experiences both breeding the first year as well as
waiting to the second year to breed....No difference
in adult size on ewes, and it is my perception that
birthing is easier on ewes if they do it their first
year rather than wait until they fill their second
year before producing that first lamb.

I am sure every breeder has their own rationale, but
this is my experience with the Jacob breed.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool