[Jacob-list] Ewe question....

Christopher Brantley labradorridgejacobs at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 20:33:42 EST 2005

Got what seems to me an odd happening and was wondering if it was my imagination, an oddity, or if anyone else had ever had a simialr note with lambing....

This past Monday morning I noticed one of my older ewes udder had dropped and was filling nicely... in fact had a nice solid floor and teats were beginning to spread apart. That eveing, it began to get cold and snow to the eventual total of 18" with deeper drifts. My initial thought was what a nightmare... single digit temps and lots of snow. I was amazed each morning that no lambs. Wednesday, I decided I best check her out closer and found the udder was not full, nor expansive as previously. I had horrible thoughts, went to the office and got one of the doppler scopes. The lambs still seem healthy and alive!

Is it normal for jacobs to reverse and not deliver like that? I've never seen any critter stop once the process begins.

Any thoughts, or ideas?

-Chris