[Jacob-list] docked tails

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Mar 3 23:11:47 EST 2005

I banded (tails and testicles) for 12 years.  When I first banded, I followed the recommendation in Simmon's 'Raising Sheep the Modern Way', which set 9 or 10 days as the right time to band.  Lambs were in obvious distress when I banded tails and I never could get a good hold on the testes on 9 day old Jacob ram lambs.  Many a 'wether' at Patchwork during that first few years managed to lose his scrotum, but hang on to his testicles.  I did finally get the hang of castrating with bands (still can't get a good grip on the testes on a 9 day old ram), but very seldom castrate anymore, as the majority of my cull rams go into our own freezer and the rest go to an ethnic buyer that will only take rams for butcher.  My normal procedure for lambing is to allow the ewes to pick their lambing spots.  After lambing, I bring the ewe and lamb(s) into the barn for a day, check everything, worm the ewe, and (if I am going to dock the tail) dock within the first day or two.   Banding before three days old is way less traumatic than waiting for 9 days.  Lambs hardly seem to notice.

Linda
www.patchworkfibers.com