[Jacob-list] docked tails

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 11:47:26 EST 2005

I firmly agree with keeping a docked tail within a reasonable limit.   In
West Virginia, there are restrictions in place to prevent the severity of
docking market lamb tails and those sheep who are shown in our state's fairs and
festivals.  I think club lamb breeders would most certainly dock  tails clear to
their shoulder blades, if they could.  Many horror  stories could be told
about health issues directly related to overly docked  tails.

MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE is to have the tail long enough to cover both  the
anal and vulva regions. I personally do not like natural length tails  so I dock.
I feel that a tail covering the anal and vulva area is  more appealing than a
full length tail -- AGAIN MY PREFERENCE.   Some shepherd's feel just the
opposite and want tails left on; after all they  are born with them! I do not
think a docked tail Jacob is any less than a Jacob  with a tail -- MERELY PERSONAL
PREFERENCE.

There is no physical need (in most cases) for a  sheep's tail to be docked.
AND I don't know of any  physical need for the tail to remain intact either
but there may be one indeed and I'm sure I'll hear about  it!  I'm sure there
are Jacobs who use their tail to swat flies, much  like a horse.  I have one
ewe who routinely plays with her tail, which  is quite comical to watch
actually.  Tails or not, my Jacobs lift what  they do have to urinate, defecate and,
in ewes, deliver lambs.

Not all shearers are familiar with tails.  Mine just mentioned is  easier not
to have to work around them.  You know, the personal  preference thing!  I
know my shearer would still come shear my  sheep with tails or not so its a
non-issue really.

My vet looks at banding differently than other vets might.  I  tend to agree
with him -- banding is less stressful (painful) than other  methods.  He said
his 22 yrs. experience in this area has been more  problems with cut off tails
than banded ones.  Perhaps it could  have been the person doing the cutting!
Just like doctors though,  huh?  Always a different opinion! :)  I personally
have not had  ANY health issues from banding but I'm sure there are others
who  have. I take the recommended veterinary precautions when we band at 3 days
and move on.  Some shepherds (and vets, for that matter) may prefer cutting
the tail off and/or then cauterizing it or dousing with antiseptic.  Most
shepherds save valuable time and money by doing a vast variety of care taking
chores themselves since shepherding involves day to day care of  the flock. An
inexperienced or new shepherd may elect to have a vet or more  experienced
person perform certain tasks for them the first time.  After all it is a learning
process -- what works for one shepherd and  flock may not work for another.

I'm sure we would all agree, however, that docking or not and  method used is
best left up to the shepherd(ess) and his/her  current situation.  Like Linda
said -- you can always take it off but  really hard to put back on!

Isn't this fun? :) -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)

Route 4 Box 726