[Jacob-list] Docking older sheeps tails

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 08:27:47 EST 2005

Hi all,

Some of my sheep are docked and some are not.  Some years I dock lambs and others I don't---depending on weather conditions and fly availability when lambs are born.

***My experience shows me that docking is not necessary for cleanliness of tails during delivery.
***Docking does not positively influence fly strike, and I have yet to see fly strike occur on a sheep with a tail.....HUMMMM.  I know it happens, and I don't discount the fact that it does happen.  Vigilance is quite important.  I have seen fly strike in sheep with docked tails---usually off to the side, and down closer to the udder region on ewes.
***Since I shear my sheep quite often, I can also speak to shearing experience---NO problems there.  Shearers tend to not be familiar with tails, and as creatures of habit want them removed.
***Vets absolutely hate and detest banding.  Every single vet I have spoken with over the 11 years of sheep raising here has voiced deep hatred for the practice.  That said, when I dock, that is the method I have used as I am a real woos about blood and cutting off tails.  A banded tail is RIPE for infection---not just tetanus.

I don't have strong feelings either direction for docking or not.  That is up to the breeder.  This is a breed who can lift their tails away from their body to urinate, defacate, and to deliver offspring.  If you have sheep that cannot handle their tails in such manner, go find some that can and look at the differences.  It is an excellent trait to keep in mind when selecting stock---just one of those that are not readily seen in pictures on registry applications!

I do have strong feelings about short docks.  I absolutely abhor people who call themselves breeders who dock up at the body as this is inhumane and a health hazard for the sheep.  Would I purchase a sheep with a short dock--------NO and a thousand times NO.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool