[Jacob-list] Docking older sheeps tails

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 06:49:35 EST 2005

Cheryl,

I'm sure you have heard from various sources regarding tail docking.   It has
been a topic of discussion in Jacob circles for some time now.   There are
many accepted methods of docking tails.  I personally have found  banding to be
the simplest method without a lot of mess.  I also believe it  is the most
humane and the least painful of all the docking methods.

Since you provide CD&T vaccines, the sheep would be protected against
tetanus.  However, my veterinarian suggests we give 0.5ml of tetanus  antitoxin to
the lamb at time of docking -- in our program it is at 3 days,  along with ear
tagging.  Tetanus antitoxin provides immediate yet short  term protection
against tetanus.  The tetanus in CD&T and other  vaccines are tetanus toxoid,
which is designed to work with the bodies immune  system to develop more long term
protection, hence the need for annual  boosters.  At 3 days of age, a lamb
does not have adequate immune system  protection via the colostrum to protect it
against tetanus so the antitoxin is  given.  I always keep epinephrine on
hand for vaccine reactions.  We  have only had one case where a lamb exhibited
mild seizure like symptoms within  a few minutes of receiving the tetanus
antitoxin, which is a modified live  virus.  We administered the epi and everything
was fine.

At any rate, I prefer docked tails to natural length ones.  I feel  that
lambing in the ewes is cleaner and things are easily accessible (when  needed) w/o
the tail hanging in the way.  Shearing is also easier -- as per  my shearer!
I've not docked an adult tail before but have discussed it  with my vet.  I
have 3 sheep here from other farms with natural length  tails that I have
considered docking.  My  vet indicated adult tails can be banded and cold weather
is better than waiting  until spring or summer because of the fly issue.  He
also said once the  band is applied, wait a few days then go ahead and snip off
the lower portion  rather than let it fall off.  Once the blood flow has been
cut off for a  few days, the lower tail portion is without feeling and can
painlessly be taken  off.  For the sake of cleanliness a quick shot of antiseptic
spray  can't hurt.  In lambs, the tails usually fall off on their own around
10-14  days after banding.

Warm, wet weather is a haven for fly strike.  If your little ewe  constantly
has a wet backside, imagine what that may be like this summer.   If you have
ever witnessed a case of fly strike in any animal, you would know it  is
disgusting and can, most of the time, be preventable.  I'd certainly  consider
banding the tail on this ewe. Like they say, "An ounce of prevention of  worth a
pound of cure."

There are, of course, other methods of docking tails and other shepherds on
the list may practice them.  I've only mentioned banding since it is my
personal preference and the method I practice on all our lambs at 3 days  old.
I've not had any complications from using this method in 6 lambing  seasons.

Good Luck! -- Cheryl Terrano

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)

Route 4 Box 726