[Jacob-list] Re: Pigs and sheep

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 8 11:41:56 EDT 2005

--Original message--
>Hi-
>I have "taken in" two pigs for a few months...and a friend told me she
>thought that it might present a potential health hazard to my sheep. They
>are not grazing or sleeping in same places, but definitely in close
>proximity.
>Anybody have comments?
>Thanks....
>Sara
-----------
I asked the question on sheep-l and received several replies from people
who raise both.  No problems.  However, one other person mentioned that
there is a "pseudo-rabies" carried by pigs that can kill sheep.  A man from
Canada wrote:
"Pig manure is very high in copper and this could cause a major problem
with sheep."
You probably won't have a problem if you continue to keep the pigs separate
from the sheep.  Check with your Extension Agent or vet about the
"pseudo-rabies".
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho