[Jacob-list] Worming question

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 16:54:07 EDT 2005

I would strongly suggest checking with a large animal
vet, familiar with ruminants, in your area.

As Kate mentioned, worming protocol depends on your
location as well as breed of sheep and your facility
(acreage, # of sheep/acre, etc.)

I had a very bad year due to haemonchus contortus
(barber pole) worms 2 years ago. Lost 6 lambs and 1
adult. Learned a LOT from my vet and local necrospy
lab.

I, too, use FAMACHA (and was VERY glad to be able to
take the official class in June of this year), check
my flock's condition score regularly, keep them "tame"
by feeding grain year round (sometimes just a handful,
but VERY helpful for keeping them cooperative for
eyelid checks), and only worm when I NEED to worm. I
also only worm the animals that NEED worming (pale
eyelids, lambs, pregant and just birthed ewes).

Check with your vet to find out what wormer(s) are
most effective in your area. I was also taught not to
rotate wormers each time.  I now use one until I see
increased fecal egg counts, then switch to a different
wormer. This will mean I "rotate" wormers, but will
most likely use one for several year, then another for
several years, etc.

For my particular acreage/location/flock size, my vet
recommended I stay with commercially-prepared wormers
and not use herbal wormers.  This, too, depends on
your location, acreage, set-up.

Hope this helps!
Joy

Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC
Hand spun yarns, custom knit & triloom woven items
www.shepherdofspots.com