[Jacob-list] Dewormers

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 17 16:04:14 EDT 2005

--Original Message--
>I am interested in what type of wormers most use here.
------
Actually you want to DEworm, not worm your sheep <G>.  I use Panacur
(fenbendazole) paste in the spring for all sheep including lambs(for lambs:
start at 4 wks, another dose at 8 wks).  Safeguard is also fenbendazole and
is easier to purchase, common in feed/farm supply stores.  I don't know
what the difference is between Panacur and Safeguard.  Panacur doesn't
mention 'for sheep', it's for cattle, but this is what my vet recommended
that I use.  In the fall I use Ivermectin (Zymectin brand) paste for
horses, it is both a dewormer and boticide.  The Ivermectin also destroys
any bot (fly) larvae in the nostrils or anywhere else.  Many sheep owners
use the Ivermectin injectable (shots) specific for sheep, but I guess I am
too lazy.  The oral paste works for me.  I use the large plastic parts
(delivery system) used for injections, without the needles.  These are also
available at the feed/farm stores.

Last spring I tried the Safeguard infused feed pellets for the ram,
castrated rams, and wethers.  I put it in their feed.  We don't live in an
area that has a lot of parasites, so you might need to deworm and treat
more often depending on where you live, especially in the Southern states.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho