[Jacob-list] Horn Genetics

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sun Jul 17 14:50:17 EDT 2005

We have had quite a few multiple horned heads here. I think that Linda's ram is a true 6 horned ram. I think that Dan's is a fused 4 horned animal with "splinters" of cortex material. The vast majority of the odd numbered-horned sheep that I have seen are in fact due to these splinters, and do not have a supporting medulla. We have had a ram with 6 distinct and widely spaced horns; but, he was so coarse headed that I would not consider using him for breeding. The mass of horn material does not seem to change in proportion to the number of horns.

My guess is that the polycerate gene is a simple dominant/recessive and codes for "split". It doesn't code for when to stop.

There are separate genetic pathways that code for symmetry; and this is probably much more complicated.

Neal
in Harmony
NOT