[Jacob-list] Horn Genetics

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 10:02:31 EDT 2005

I uploaded a picture to _http://members.aol.com/Hobsickle/polycerate.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/Hobsickle/polycerate.jpg)   of what I consider to be a
"polycerate" two-horned ram (some will likely  disagree w/ my analysis).  If you
look closely at his horns you can see a  line/ridge/groove/seam (whatever you
want to call it) running down both  horns.  You will also notice on his right
horn (your left) that the tip of  the horn has actually divided a little
under stress as it grew.  What you  cannot clearly tell on the picture is that
both the inner seam and the outer  seam on that horn connect to the split.
Furthermore, when that ram was  young he had another pair of very small horns
("scurs"?) that were too weak to  hang on.  In my opinion that ram had three horn
buds on each side, but the  two main buds didn't separate enough become
distinct and the third was very  small.  Though he is a "two horn," I believe that
technically, that ram is  a six-horn with two fused horns on each side and the
third broken off.

-Dan