[Jacob-list] Freezing colostrum

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 13:36:39 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/23/2005 11:55:18 AM Central Standard Time,
marshallandnoles at yahoo.com writes:

> The teats are indeed tiny and hand milking requires
> using just a couple of fingers and thumb.  Much easier is to use a
> portable milking machine with small shells made for sheep and pygmy
> goats.  Jacobs are not however known for producing great quantities
> of milk and have a short lactation.  However, sheep milk freezes
> exceptionally well so you may freeze it until you have enough to make
> a batch of cheese.

Jusy a reminder to be sure as you start lambing to take advantage of those
fist births and milk out some colostrum during the first 24-36 hours and put it
in the frezer in the event that you have a problem later in the lambing season
or a neighbor is desperate for colostrum.  On the other hand, I would not
recommend that you get colostrum from a neighbor wihjtout first understanding the
flock health risks.

Fred Horak