[Jacob-list] Sheep Falling Over and Unable to Get Up

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 18:20:44 EST 2005

Why would you want to give your sheep "Propylene Glycol"? Have you looked at the ingredients to the antifreeze that we all put in our automobiles?  It contains "Propylene Glycol"!  Most everyone knows that if a dog eats or drinks antifreeze it will kill them or make them extremely sick (when we lived in Colo. people used to bait stray dogs by putting antifreeze on fresh meat, w/ the purpose of killing the dog).  Maybe I'm just simple but I certainly wouldn't want to give my sheep "Propylene Glycol"!

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farm
Petersburg, IN
Marilyn Wallace <mwallace at osprey.net> wrote:
I am very interested in any response to this problem also!  We have had 2 ewes go down and unable to get up in the past couple of weeks.  The vet wasn't much help, thought it may be Pregnancy Toxemia and gave us Propylene Glycol and Selenium in case that was the problem.  After a couple days the older ewe got up and seems weak, but doing ok, the younger one is still having problems.  The only thing we have come up with is that the hay we had been feeding was not good enough quality for them, so we increased the grain.  It seems that may be the problem, they just weren't getting enough protein........I feel so bad about it, but we are learning as we go.  This was hay from a new source this fall.
If anyone has other suggestions, please respond and Thanks!
Heritage Hill Homestead
in Kansas

~Song of Solomon 1:8 ~ If you do not know, O fairest among women, Follow in the footsteps of the flock, And feed your little goats Beside the shepherds' tents.