[Jacob-list] Sheep Falling Over and Unable to Get Up

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 12:58:04 EST 2005

Hi,

My response to the original issue related to ketosis and/or calcium deficiency.  Both are common in ewes 4-6 weeks from delivery.  Both issues can be fatal if not handled promptly.  Propylene glycol and calcium supplement are kept onhand here because these issues come up, need to be handled immediately, and won't wait a day or two for either e-mail responses or other slower method.

Laura Lawson's Managing Your Ewe book is an excellent, if not overenthusiastic, guide as to what is best to have on hand as your "sheep insurance policy".  I sell that book as to many other places.  I have worn my copy ragged over the years and continue to find good information in there.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool