[Jacob-list] Re: ewe down

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 12:25:39 EST 2005

John,

Some sheep don't do well when moved.  Over the years, I have watched the trait and used that as part of my evaluation of whether the sheep is going to stay in the breeding program at my farm.  I had one ewe that would get "morning sickness" all day long and appear mopy the first couple months of her pregnancy---always knew when SHE was bred!

You don't mention, but I would suggest lots of communication with the breeder of your sheep as this may uncover information and problems.  The breeder may want to exchange the sheep or do something else, depending upon the circumstances.

What does the vet say?

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm