[Jacob-list] orphans

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Jan 16 18:14:54 EST 2005

I sent this before, but haven't seen it on the list, so will resend.  Sorry for any duplication.

I was in a neighboring town this afternoon and bought the local paper.  There was an interesting article about a man
that raises Boer goats and has discovered a way to get does to take on kids that are orphaned for one reason or
another.  Thought I'd share his technique.  He blindfolds the nurse doe and puts the orphan with the doe's natural
kids.  The doe is in a stall and calms down when blindfolded, but is abit cautious about moving around - much like when
a sheep gets a head stuck in a bucket, I expect.  Anyway, he's tried this a number of times with success each time.  I
didn't quite understand from the article if he keeps the doe blindfolded for the entire introduction period or not.  He
wrote an article for Goat Rancher (April 2004) on his findings.

Thought it was interesting, but hope noone needs to try it!

Linda
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep & Angora Rabbits
 Handspun Yarns